[rescue] 'thin' 3.5" SATA drives

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.cc
Thu Mar 10 20:04:03 CST 2011

I have a low end, personal 1U system that has limited internal drive
space.  In the drive space, there is room for (1) 3.5" drive that is
1.0" thick or greater.  I would like to be able to fit a pair of thinner
drives in place to be able to mirror the drives.

I have (1) Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (last years model, not rolled over
to 2011), model number ST3250310AS.  According to Seagate's website,
this drive is .787" tall, and my system has enough room for (2) of these.

I would purchase another one of these, but according to Seagate's
website, the 2011 models (7200.11), the thin 0.787" drives did not roll
over, and all of the 7200.11 models are just over 1" thick.

I have done several Yahoo searches for thin drives, but I keep coming up
with 2.5" laptop drives.  There are a couple of ST3250310AS that I have
found on Amazon, but they are used/re-manufactured.  I am really looking
for new, and would prefer higher capacity than 250 Gb.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions for thin 3.5" disk drives?
I am really looking for reliability and maximum capacity.  The system
these drive(s) would go in would not be heavily used/high volume/high
I/O and I don't feel that I would run into heat issues with slow 7200
rpm drives.

Plan B would be to use 2.5" laptop drives.

TIA for any suggestions.

Jerry