[rescue] Rescuing a Thinkpad T42

John Ruschmeyer jruschme at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 19:14:32 CDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:

> I recently snagged a Thinkpad T42 off eBay for cheap.
>
> It was $80, P4 1.7Ghz, 1024x768 14.1", with a 20G HD and 512M of RAM, along
> with combo optical drive, charger, etc, and a flat battery.  The reason for
> the cheap price?  "Broken trackpad".

Is the CPU on a T41 socketed?

I recently was given an Inspiron 8200. It came with a P4 1.8ghz, but the
first upgrade I did was to grab a 2.2ghz one on ebay. Total cost <$10 with
shipping.

Assuming it's the same CPU family, Intel made the chips up to 2.6ghz, though
those seem to be somewhat unobtainium. (At least, I'm yet to see one up for
auction.) The 2.2's are very cheap and the 2.4's and 2.5's show up
relatively cheaply from time to time.

John