[rescue] Rescued Sun servers, now what?!

vintagecoder at aol.com vintagecoder at aol.com
Wed Jun 15 11:50:41 CDT 2011

Thanks to everyone who offered to send the cables I need. I found a shop
back in the old country that was happy to ship and I placed an order. So far
I am very pleased with the service but I will hold off mentioning the name
of the store until I receive my order. I bought a couple of cables and the
DB9 to RJ45 female adapters so hopefully I won't need to looking for this
stuff again for a long time.

I was able to get the ALOM passwords from my buddy's sysadmin so that's one
less problem to deal with.

Still have a few questions now that it will be a week or so until I can
connect to the boxes:

1. Is there any way to know if the crypto accelerator is installed without
pulling a cover? From what I could find it looks like there is some kind of
card sitting over where it should be and I don't know what's involved in
taking it off.

2. Is there a way to tell how much RAM the boxes have and what clock speed
CPUs or is it just easier to do when they come up, by issuing some command?

3. Is it safe to vacuum the servers periodically with a regular vacuum
brush or how should they be kept clean? I have a lot of dust where I live.

4. What serial terminal emulator would you recommend, for those of us that
don't have real serial consoles? Is minicomm ok? I don't think I have ever
used a serial terminal emulator, we used to have real consoles.

Thanks guys.