[rescue] Rescued Sun servers, now what?!

vintagecoder at aol.com vintagecoder at aol.com
Tue Jun 14 13:18:15 CDT 2011

> Well I'm not sure if you'll be able to get to this page without an Oracle
> support contract, but the ALOM docs are at
> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E19088-01/v440.srvr/819-2445-11/index.html

Thanks, I am slowly finding stuff. Before I read the replies from Lionel,
you and Der Mouse I found the doc that says what you said here:

> I think you may still need the serial console to setup the initial config
> if it isn't using dhcp. I know that on the non-sparc servers we have you
> can setup the LOM ports in the bios or over the serial port. Either way
> just about every model we have is a little different so I always end up
> going to the system handbook for the specifics.

Yeah glad Sunshack is still working. Tons of good info there. Anyway yeah,
looks like the db9 to rj45 converter or cable is the way to go. Actually
the converter is pretty nice because I could leave it on a PC with a serial
port and then just run straight rj45/rj45 to the serial port on the
servers. Sun gives the Cisco part number that works and I found it on
several sites, just need to find a good shop that will ship internationally.

Thanks