[rescue] 3ware raid

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Wed Jul 27 14:08:06 CDT 2011

On 07/27/11 14:51, Zachary Giles wrote:
> Phil,
>
> I thought that after about FreeBSD 7.3, they fixed up the ZFS support
> to be rather stable. Would you agree?
> How about FreeBSD 8.. I hear that's even more stable..
> I'm concerned about using something that's not Solaris and am thinking
> about just buying a couple Marvell 88SX6081 (Sun X4500 controllers) to
> make everything fly...
> Thoughts?

I've heard FreeBSD8's ZFS support is pretty stable, yeah.  Stable enough
to be used in production.  I'm not sure I'd wholly trust any FreeBSD7
version's ZFS in production, but ...  well, I'm not a FreeBSD wonk, so
I'm not the person to ask.

X4500s would definitely be a sound way to go.  LSI Logic is also a
pretty safe bet.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.