[rescue] Lightening the load

linc linc at lincgeek.org
Tue Jul 19 08:46:08 CDT 2011

On 07/19/2011 09:40 AM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> I think that's the best way to 'thin the herd' - by processor/architecture.
> I'm about to shed all P3 and earlier PC boxes, which includes some PIII Xeon
> servers that I never really got to fiddle with...
>
> Of course, my PC surplus is most likely headed towards the electronics
> recycling events my county holds several times a year, as they are hardly
> interesting to anyone these days, AFAIK.
>
> P4 and later boxes are still useful for many applications, so they will have
> more optimistic futures.
>
> Lionel
>
> On Jul 19, 2011, at 1:47 AM, James Birdsall<jwb-tech at picarefy.com>  wrote:
>
>> I'm starting with my 680x0-based machines,

Guys, I know this will sound like a kitchy advertisement, but you can
give the gift of Unix!  I run a website called FreeLinuxBox.Org
(http://freelinuxbox.org) and I am always looking to encourage people to
spread the wealth in that manner when they have spare hardware.  Simply
put, you get a working box installed with an *open* style unix like
Linux, *BSD, etc. and you give it away on the site.  Generally speaking
the person you decide to give it to pays you for shipping or picks it up
locally.

--
-Linc Fessenden