[rescue] Wanted: RAM for an Ultra 45

Andrew Gaylard ag at computer.org
Mon Feb 21 13:12:38 CST 2011

Hi all,

Now that my Ultra 45's arrived (a great machine, BTW),
I'm looking for RAM for it -- 1GB isn't really enough.

Apparently, this box wants "DDR-1 SDRAM 266MHz registered ECC".
I'd like to get 2x2GB.  Kingston seems only to have 512MB and 1GB
modules.

Anyone?

- Andrew

PS: interestingly, this Ultra-45 came with only one CPU socket.
So my advice to anyone looking to buy a single-CPU box and upgrade
it to a dual-CPU box is: "don't".  The odds are good you can't.
The motherboard is missing not only the second CPU socket,
but also the DIMM slots and the PSU electronics.  You'd need to
swap out the whole motherboard first, before upgrading.