[rescue] [geeks] Solaris 10 x86 recovery?

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Thu Feb 17 20:45:50 CST 2011

My Solaris 10 x86 box went down hard last night, sometime between 0130
(when the last mail message got transferred) and 0214 (when babylon5's
eix-sync failed because it couldn't resolve any hostnames).  It doesn't
APPEAR that any hardware has failed, but the boot filesystem (which is a
ZFS mirror) is not mountable.  I can get to a single-user shell from the
install CDs, but zfs/zpool list says no zfs datasets/pools available.
The disks all seem to be present.  Am I missing something?  Is there a
way I can recover my ZFS pool data from the single-user shell?  Should I
be able to fsck and mount a partition on the boot disks just as though
it was not mirrored?

I'm hoping I can get the system booted if I can just figure out how to
fsck the boot partitions, but I've never had to do this on ZFS before
and I don't want to blow away my installed OS by fumbling around in the
dark and doing something wrong.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.