[rescue] On surplus gear

Bill Blum bill.blum at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 15:18:10 CST 2011

> Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 13:25:27 +0200
> From: gsm at mendelson.com

> Someday someone will come in and say their HP signal generator died and
> they
> need to replace it, so they can use it to repair an item that is specified
> to be aligned using that device.

This sort of behavior is how I wound up with a NIST-calibrated triple-trace
oscilloscope for $50:  because the calibration procedure for a major piece
of equipment changed at the local military installation, and suddenly a
bunch of local surplus shops saw no value in keeping boatanchors around that
they weren't going to be able to move until the ham radio convention came to
town, bringing busloads of hams.

---
Bill Blum
Bill.Blum at gmail.com