[rescue] FreeBSD and ZFS, was Re: 3ware raid

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 11:59:19 CDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Richard Zawaski <zski128 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Those systems are BSD/Linux correct? DeDup on Solaris worked great in our
> case. Saved lots of IO to the disk and actually sped up file access. DeDup
> with ZFS on anything else but Solaris I would not trust.

I'm sure if you have the right workload/use case, it will work fine.
But again, the system has to be size right.  I can only see a couple
of use cases, based on the things Elling talked about in our class,
where it would be useful for a home NAS.  And even then, I think the
cost differential for disks vs. RAM if you are doing it the "right
way" with ECC makes dedup an unattractive option for home.

Compression on the other hand is a no brainer.  If you have no CPU
bottleneck (unlikely unless using an Atom box at home), turn it on!
It also speeds up access times, because CPU is cheaper time-wise than
disk reads/writes.

=Nadine=