[rescue] Latest rescue

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Thu Apr 14 13:09:38 CDT 2011

On Thursday 14 April 2011, Jonathan Patschke wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2011, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> > For those interested, this is my latest rescue for which I was
> > liquidating some other things I have has sitting around.
> >
> > http://worldofvax.blogspot.com/2011/04/ibm-mainframes-at-home.html
>
> What're the power-draw and cooling requirements for a system like
> that? I'd like an ESAME system at home, but they all look gigantic
> and power-hungry.

I measured 1500W with just one of the two PSUs plugged in, while running
an OS (but not doing much).  Add in maybe 300W for disks, and 200W or so
for network and FC switches to convert media.  IBM's quoted power range
is 1.5-4.7kW.  I have a hard time seeing how the CPU itself could get up
to 4.7kW.

I figure the peripherals will probably be what kills me, when I get
around to firing up the 3420s.

Pat