[rescue] U5 coming, looking for some advice

John Ruschmeyer jruschme at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 22:19:27 CDT 2010

I have taken Phil up on his recent offer and, so, have an Ultra 5 being
shipped to me. This will be my first personal Ultra and the first one I've
had access to since changing projects back in 2006. Given this, I'd
appreciate some advice in a couple of areas:

OS: My first thought is to downloads Solaris 10 and run that, but with the
Oracle purchase of Sun, does it make sense (or is it even possible) to run a
personal Solaris box? I don't remember; does the license issue get any
better if I run Sol 9 instead?

SCSI: I'm thinking about installing a SCSI controller. Any advice on an
inexpensive one?

Thanks...
John