[rescue] SGI goodies anyone? - Power consumption..

Robert Darlington rdarlington at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 12:02:32 CDT 2010

Be careful with this assumption.  If the PSU is rated for 1500 watts, that's
the max it will ever draw.  Most likely it will be much less unless you have
every possible accessory jammed into every possible expansion slot.  I ran
into this when specifying air conditioning systems for server rooms.  Using
the label on the back of the computer or the printed spec in a data sheet
means icing up chillers.  Typically I'm used to actual average power
consumption in a server room being closer to *half* of all the printed
ratings added up.

That being said, your system might in fact pull that much power.   When
you're running, try using an ammeter on the line powering them (split a
power cable into individual conductors and clamp around either hot or
neutral but not both because they cancel each other out).  I'd be very
interested to see where these systems fall.

-Bob