[rescue] SGI goodies anyone? - Power consumption..

Christopher Purdy escher2 at chartermi.net
Mon Oct 18 11:33:22 CDT 2010

> My point about this was really that those that "would love a Onyx2"
> might think about if they could actually run one. Lots of people in this
> list don't have the facilities, money, or experience to run something
> drawing that much current. Its not like many other deskside servers. It
> draws a ton of power. The deskside form factor is deceiving. I just
> wanted to warn people before they burned their parents house down with
> some free computer they got off the rescue list.

Good point - which I have been doing a lot of research on and now plan to
add a dedicated 20A circuit for my toys...

In my case - I wound up with 3 Origin 300's, the associated router, etc....
If I run all three units and the router it should draw approx. 1500-1600W.
Which should be fine on a 20A line (20A*100V=2000W - being conservative))...

As to cost -- Running 1600W for 24h per day for 30 days = 1152KWh... For my
locality electricity is $.070923 for the first 600KWh and $.130992 after
that... so it would cost ($42.55+$72.31)= $ 114.86 per month.

Now - I don't plan to run the machine continuously, and I may not even use
all three modules, so I will likely be into the $30-$50 range most of the
time.

It is a good point to take a look at the poeer supply requirements before
getting a machine - I have an original Onyx deskside (110V) coming - and
that puppy alone draws 1500W - hence the need for the 20A line.