[rescue] Octane Needs (was Re: SGI goodies anyone?)

William Barnett-Lewis wlewisiii at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 18:46:19 CDT 2010

On Oct 15 20:52:29, Phil Stracchino wrote:

>> 1) 13w3 output to VGA monitor adapter
>
>I have at least one of those I could part with, maybe two soon, but mine
>are Sun, and I understand Sun and SGI do not use the same 13W3 pinouts.

I had thought the pin outs were the same but Sun used a separate sync
pin that SGI left unused?

I just got back from JP's with my new-to-me Octane -

2xR10000 at 250mhz
512mb RAMi
Video is  MXI without any Texture RAM
It has the PCI cage and a 5 port XIO switch. Not sure either will do
me much good, but there you go.
Plastic is in good shape & has the old SGI cube on it :)
It does have the newer system board so 8gb & dual R14000 at 600 are
possible if I can find them :)
Older power supply but that shouldn't be a problem.

With a quick pit stop at my favorite surplus shop, I found the 68pin
to Centronics SCSI cable my old Apple CDROM needs and now have three
73gb Compaq pulls (only one drive sled though) for $17 each. I do
still need the Video adapter though since the one I have is the wrong
gender.

So anyone got some spare CPU's & T-ram? LOL

JP is a great gentleman to deal with has an awesome pole barn full of
seriously cool gear with many things I'd only ever seen photos of
before. I want to be there when he fires up that IBM System/34! Or the
multiple Onyx racks!

Thank you, JP.

William
--
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.