[rescue] SGI goodies anyone?

Robert Darlington rdarlington at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 02:56:54 CDT 2010

In regards to 3 prong outlets, make sure you do it to code.  Either run a
ground line to that 3rd prong OR use a GFI (sometimes pronounced GFCI).
There is no requirement to attach a ground line to a GFI outlet and that's
the only way that I know of to safely and legally switch to a three prong
outlet without running a ground line.  GFI's use a simple transformer
circuit to compare the current between hot and neutral.  If they go out of
balance by 5mA or less they trip and cut off power.  Kirchoff's Current Law
basically says what goes out has to equal what comes in.  If the current
coming back is not the same as what goes in, you know you have current going
where it should not be and the GFI trips.  You can chain regular (cheap)
outlets downstream to protect those outlets as well.

Also, avoid running grounds to copper water pipes when possible.  It can be
a bad time for plumbers when they cut a pipe and become a path to ground.

Jeff, take a look at the meter outside your house.  Chances are it's modern
(if you pay an electrical bill, it's a modern meter) and was upgraded at
some point in the last 50 years.  Utility companies know that demand rarely
goes down and that it's cheaper to run a cable once.

-Bob