[rescue] SGI goodies anyone?

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 02:11:49 CDT 2010

pete wrote:
> I don't know about you but, my wife isn't so keen on me unplugging the
> fridge to fire up an Onyx2. I could maybe get away with the dryer in the
> garage for a few minutes but, what is the point ? If you intend to
> actually use these things you need a dedicated line. That takes skill or
> money.
>
> My point about this was really that those that "would love a Onyx2"
> might think about if they could actually run one. Lots of people in this
> list don't have the facilities, money, or experience to run something
> drawing that much current. Its not like many other deskside servers. It
> draws a ton of power. The deskside form factor is deceiving. I just
> wanted to warn people before they burned their parents house down with
> some free computer they got off the rescue list.

Ugh.  Lots of people on this list wouldn't love an Onyx2.  It's a fairly
small subset of people who have expressed the interest.  I don't know
everyone, but I have enough confidence in the skills of those who I know
who expressed interest, that I don't think it would be a problem.

For the record, I've run stuff that takes a *lot* more power than an Onyx2.

Peace...  Sridhar