[rescue] Dead Ultra 2?

Caleb Cupples cscupples at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 20:33:29 CST 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 7:48 PM, Bill Green <bill at supposedly.org> wrote:
> On 11/15/2010 5:39 PM, Jonathan J. M. Katz wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 8:34 PM, Caleb Cupples<cscupples at gmail.com>
>>  wrote:
>>
>>> I can hear one of the cooling fans trying to start for a fraction of a
>>> second, whenever I press the power switch, but other than that,
>>> nothing. So, the question is... How broken is the machine, and how
>>> much will it take to revive it?
>>

>> Sounds like a short of some kind. Try pulling all the RAM, CPUs and see if
>> it powers on? If not that, then pull the cables for the SCSI bus from the
>> motherboard-- there could be a short in the ribbon cable.
>
> Yep, IIRC, this was what my U60 did when one of the CPU modules wasn't
> seated properly.

Well, the problem is solved, and it turns out that I replaced the
power supply for no reason. There were two sticks of memory that
weren't properly seated, and that was the entire problem.

Thank you very much, for helping me get an old Ultra 2 back into the
world of the living (and my number of running UltraSPARC II processors
up to four).

Caleb
--
C. Scott Cupples