[rescue] largest system I've owned

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Thu May 27 22:00:19 CDT 2010

On Thursday 27 May 2010, Bill Bradford wrote:
> Physically?  either the 4/690MP (which was defunct, but I had a great
>  time stripping it down to the rack and then selling the rack.  What
>  awesome engineering and solid construction), or the VAX 6000, which
>  I was never able to power up and sold as-is when I moved.

I ended selling it off by the rack, but I bought a 10-frame IBM SP high
node cluster (40 nodes total, each with 16x375MHz POWER3-II procs and
16GB RAM).  Total weight, about 21,000lbs.

I still have one frame with two high nodes and 8 thin nodes that I'm
planning on keeping.

Next biggest thing (which I still have, and intend on getting running at
some point) is just a peripheral... IBM 3803 model 2 and 3 x 3420 model
8 tape drives.  That plus my IBM Multiprise/2003, 9343-C02 DASD and 3480
(A22 and two B22 drive units) is my biggest single system, and is spread
over two floors of my house. :)

Pat