[rescue] WTB: SGI (MIPS architecture) Systems

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed May 26 16:29:08 CDT 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 04:20:29PM -0500, Timothy Baldridge wrote:
> > Flint/Flame/Inferno (low, middle, high end, although Inferno seems to be
> > being phased out).
> >

> I did have a chance to use Effect 7 for a bit. What's the relationship
> between Effect 7 on a O2 and Flint? Was Flint a Octane offering? and
> Effect was the O2 offering? And how do the capabilities of Flint stack
> against the (much) cheaper Combustion?

I've always been led to believe that Effect was Flint with simply a
temporary name change of the O2 version.  After Effect 7, they even had
a Flint 7 for O2.  There used to be a large web site of documentation
for many versions on many hardware platforms of the various versions,
but that seems to have been taken away in the last year or so, which I
think is sad.  I haven't used a Discrete system, but I've spent plenty
of time reading through the docs.

I always thought the Flint RT looked like it would be fun to get ahold
of, even though it wouldn't likely be as practical as an Octane Flint.

> Sorry, but I've got a bit of a fetish for SGI based Autodesk software.
> Something about using an Onyx for editing is just freaking awesome,
> and it's a pity there isn't any comparable systems today.

I believe that Discrete (at the time owned by Autodesk, but still
operating under their own name) tried to port Fire to the SGI Prism, but
the Prism was discontinued before it was ready to ship.