[rescue] UnOracle patches for Solaris (Sandwich Maker)

Skeezics Boondoggle skeezicsb at gmail.com
Fri May 21 16:31:45 CDT 2010

On Fri, 21 May 2010, Ian Finder wrote:

> If it doesn't sell [the E10K], I'd consider fronting you the $125 to ensure it is not
> scrapped.

Man, that's a kind and generous thought.  But it's the ~ $1000 or so
to get it to Portland by padded van that sorta breaks the deal.  Ah,
well.

As for the power costs, you can always run it with just one or two
system boards for tinkering, then fire up the rest on weekends to show
it off to incredulous friends and neighbors.  They won't notice the
neighborhood is browned out while they're standing with their ears
covered gaping at the machine. Add some extra blinky lights for
effect.  :-)

For the last two winters, I've just reversed the cooling flow in my
machine room and let the computers heat my house (handful of Ultras, a
Dell, a NetApp, a few networking bits) and it saved me a bundle.  If
it got chilly I'd just warm up the PERQ or the SS1000E or any of the
other racked systems to contribute a few extra BTUs.  With an E10k and
some creative ductwork, oh the possibilities...

-- Chris