[rescue] UnOracle patches for Solaris (Sandwich Maker)

John Francini francini at mac.com
Fri May 21 09:51:16 CDT 2010

On 21 May 2010, at 10:43, Ethan O'Toole wrote:

>> Actually, it's not "each side is 120", at least not usually.
>> (Well, it
>> is, but not in the way the phrasing implies.)  The two phases are
>> generally distributed via interlocking metal combs
>
> But a house could have 110-120 service if it only had one leg
> connected to utility. I mean, they wouldn't HAVE to wire both legs up?

To do so would require special (or ancient) "load centers" (breaker or
fuse panels) than the standard -- the current 'standard' panels,
meters, etc all *assume* 120/240v single-phase power.

Also, there are ways of freeing up space in typical panels to make
room for a required 240v circuit -- skinny half-wide breakers can be
used to free up a double-pole hole.

OTOH, running a 345.6 KWh-a-day device on residential service at
PSNH's rates would quickly bankrupt me...