[rescue] UnOracle patches for Solaris (Sandwich Maker)

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Fri May 21 09:12:23 CDT 2010

On 05/21/10 09:05, gsm at mendelson.com wrote:
> On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 08:54:25AM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>
>> I don't think we even HAVE a 240V circuit in this house.  Everything
>> that isn't 120V is gas-fired.
>
> Every circuit "on the grid" in the US is 240 volt. The US system uses 240
> power distribution, which is split into two 120 volt phases in reference
> to ground.
>
> Go look at your circuit breaker panel. You will see TWO main breakers,
> and two columns of circut breakers. With ground in the middle each side
> is 120 volts, across both is 240.

Well, yeah.  I didn't say there wasn't 240V power at the box.  What I
said was that we don't have a single 240V *circuit*.  (And if memory
serves, the breaker panel is full enough that we couldn't add any 240V
circuits without reorganizing and rebalancing the entire panel.)

> I was thinking that when someone mentioned a computer that required 15a at 120
> volts. Our Dyson vacuum cleaner uses that much power (7amps at 230volts).
> However we don't run it all the time. :-)

You have a Dyson that runs .... Oh.  Right.  You're not in the US.  :)

> 1.5kWh 24/7 would be $150 a month (at 14 cents per kWH). OUCH!!

All told, with supplier charges, transmission charges, foo charges, bar
charges, charge charges, because we feel like it charges, energy tax,
tax tax, etc, we're currently paying 15.3 cents/kWh.  60A at 240V is
14.4kW, which is 345.6kWh per day.  At 15.3c/kWh, I make that about $53
per *day* to run an E10K on our residential power service.

Now, if I had a Mr.Fusion.....  :)

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.