[rescue] Help in reconfiguring Flexline680 (SUN/STK) array

Steve Costaras stevecs at chaven.com
Thu May 20 15:59:37 CDT 2010

I'm assuming RAID-0 due to what's there physically (96 250GB SATA
drives, with 2 drives per tray (when you remove a tray you're pulling 2
drives) this is across a 680 and two 600 units (32 drives each)) and the
OS sees 20 1TB luns, 1 ~960GB lun, and a smaller 20GB lun).   So
basically 21TB.   Now this could still have some other redundancy built
in as there is un-used space here but without seeing the controller
information I have to assume the worse which would be no redundancy.

On one tray (physical) I see an orange LED that is light so I'm assuming
the drive there is either in smart failure or otherwise.   Don't know if
you can ask your friend if I pull the tray and replace it with another
one (I have another flexline 600 as a spare unit so I can scavenge parts
from that one) would the flexline take the new tray and re-do the lun
without management console intervention (I don't care if data is
lost).   I.e. basically what I'm asking is, is the lun information
stored in nvram or elsewhere redundantly so if a drive unit is replaced
the array would not loose the use of the drives that were on the bad lun
or the lun entirely?

This is non production so I have some leeway with it but am trying to
see what I can use or how I need to set it up from a server point of
view baring in mind the lack of management / spares et al.

To your point, I was planning on a RAID-10 of the luns with hot spares
so out of the 21TB I may get say 6-8TB usable and do that for each
flexline 680.   It's ugly but it's still 6-8TB which is much better than
I have now to play with.

Steve