[rescue] UnOracle patches for Solaris

JP Hindin jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com
Thu May 20 15:28:21 CDT 2010

On Thu, 20 May 2010, Andrew Jones wrote:
> > I think it was largely the popularity of Solaris versus IRIX.
> >
> > And some of that can be traced to Sun being hobbyist-friendly.
> >
> > (What was the price of an E10K versus a comperable Origin-2000?)
> >

> Strangely enough, the E10k arch was derived from Cray technology that SGI sold
> to Sun. It was an outgrowth of the Cray4d stuff.  Gotta wonder how that deal
> ever happened.

When SGI purchased Cray, Cray Research Superservers (originally a separate
company but purchased by Cray) were working on this Sparc-powered highly
fault tolerant supercomputer as a follow-up to the CS6400.
Clearly SGI could not be seen to be selling a 'super using someone else's
processors, and the project had gone much too far to work backwards to
place MIPS processors on it, so CRS was sold, along with its design, to
Sun.

Sun paid $50m for CRS and McNealy said that they sold "billions of
dollars" worth in E10k machines and parts. According to McNealy it was one
of the most profitable decisions Sun ever made.

Oops?

 - JP