[rescue] Oracle making just a little harder to keep old machines in use

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Fri May 7 19:13:52 CDT 2010

    On Fri, 7 May 2010, Ethan O'Toole wrote:

> Woah. Intergraph. Never messed with one, but used to tote the knowledge
> around for the "Name as many unix varients as possible" contests.

    I supported CLIX professionally for a good many years earlier on
in my career.  It's based on System V Release 3, and has assorted
Berkeley bits bolted onto it.  All in all, it's a reasonably nice
environment, but getting anything modern ported to it can be
righteously painful.

> Had one at a job I worked at but it was never powered on. CAD box IIRC.

    CADD systems, yes.  I have several in my collection which I
occasionally power up when I need CADD or am called upon to do
a port of something modern.  However, the last time that happened
was several years ago when I was asked to build a new version
of ELM.  I do not know if there's a single CLIX system left in
day-to-day use now, and I suspect that outside certain tightly-
constrained environments there may well not be.  (I need to fire
up my old workhorse just for the fun of it.  By the time I left
a previous employer the value of the machines was zero; I got to
take a few home so I could keep one running.)