[rescue] Oracle making just a little harder to keep old machines in use

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Wed May 5 19:49:51 CDT 2010

> "the Intel and Linux Cool-Aid"
>
> yep - got it rammed into me recently

I saw the way that Unix systems were headed at my old job (IBM blades
running Linux as opposed to Sun hardware running Solaris), so when I was
offered a middleware job in a different shop where I didn't have to do
hardware or OS support at all, I took it.

Now I see the OS folks in the new place having to deal with the same
types of problems that I didn't want to have supporting Linux.

I use Linux on all kinds of systems and it is my desktop OS of choice,
but Linux on Intel is not my critical production server choice.

There are times when being right sucks.

Steve