[rescue] Oracle making just a little harder to keep old machines in use

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed May 5 12:53:46 CDT 2010

On Wed, 5 May 2010, Phil Stracchino wrote:

>> You've forgotten that IBM actually attempted to buy Sun before Sun shut
>> the deal down?  IBM's offer was 95% as high as what Oracle ended up
>> paying, so it's not that IBM had low-balled them.
>
> I didn't realize that it was *Sun* that had shut down the deal.  That
> was not the brightest thing Sun ever did.

My recollection is that IBM said "$7B, take it or leave it," and Sun
replied with "hmmm, let's see if we can get more from someone else," which
IBM took to mean as leaving it.  Given the state Sun was in at the time,
$7B was already overvalued by a bit.

--
Jonathan Patschke | "There is more to life than increasing its speed."
Elgin, TX         |                                   --Mahatma Gandhi