[rescue] DEQNA, was Re: I want a VAX

Steven M Jones smj+rescue at crash.com
Wed May 5 03:54:45 CDT 2010

Ian Finder wrote:
> So if I remember, it works, but it's whichever model isn't supported by
> anything- DEQNA if I recall, which doesn't work on any version of VMS I have
> (or netbsd, if I recall). I think DEQLA is the good one- might have them
> switched around though.

The DEQNA (M7504) is the older Q-bus Network Adapter (QNA... get it?).
As with most DEC cards, there were various Engineering Change Orders
(ECOs) that corrected problems identified over the service life of the
option -- these can make a huge difference in the reliability of a
system using one. The later card is the DELQA (M7516), in at least -M
and -YM variants. The -YM is the faster/better/stronger option for reasons I've
long since forgotten.<br>

Looks like DEC withdrew support for the DEQNA in VMS 5.5, but earlier
versions should support it and are entirely period-appropriate for a
MicroVAX II. If NetBSD or OpenBSD won't support the DEQNA, you might
want to see if you can scrounge up Ultrix v3 or v4.<br>

I remember troubleshooting a problem with a LAVC that had something
like a half-dozen VS2000s with local swap drives booting off a MicroVAX
II or III that I believe used a DEQNA under v5. It all worked, but if I
let more than one or two VS2000s boot at the same time there was a
pretty good chance I'd take down the MicroVAX...<

--S.