[rescue] Sun Fire V210 drive bracket

John Floren slawmaster at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 13:30:42 CDT 2010

Yep, I searched a little more thoroughly and came up with one for $11
shipped (from Ohio, which is pretty close to me), which should be in
the mail today or tomorrow. Knowing that it's such a common piece of
kit made me widen my search parameters a bit.

Thanks for the info!

John

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Barry Callahan <barryc at rjlsystems.com>
wrote:
> As Joshua mentions below, that's a Sun standard B "spud bracket" which has
> been used on pretty much every system and storage enclosure made by Sun
> since the Ultra 1. Basically, if it's genuine Sun kit, manufactured since
> 1995, it's a damn good bet that any 3.5" wide hard drive is going to be
> mounted in a spud.
>
> Searching ebay for "spud bracket" yields a number of listings that are a
> better deal than $20/ea, shipped.
>
> http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=spud+bracket
>
> --
> #/******************************
> #* Barry Callahan
> #* Technologist
> #* RJL Systems
> #* phone: 1 586 790 - 0200 x112
> #* B  B  B  B 1 800 528 - 4513 x112
> #* fax: B  1 586 790 - 0205
> #\*****************************/
>

> On 06/29/2010 04:42 PM, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
>>
>> On 06/29/2010 04:06 PM, John Floren wrote:
>>>
>>> The system I bought does not have drive brackets/sleds/trays whatever
>>> you want to call them. I'm hoping a Sun-master could tell me: are all
>>> Sun trays created equal? Will I be able to make do with any given Sun
>>> tray, or just with a Sun Fire tray, or are there some compatible trays
>>> from other manufacturers? I found one V210 bracket on ebay

(http://cgi.ebay.com/Sun-V210-V240-V440-Hard-Drive-Bracket-Spud-Caddy-/160449
071945)
>>> but I'm loath to pay $20 for a bracket when I've only spent $50 on the
>>> machine... I'm hoping to find out what my options are, then try to
>>> locate something suitable, hopefully for cheaper/free.
>>
>> You got a killer deal on that V210, and I wouldn't complain about paying
>> $20 more.
>>
>> The linked to bracket is what you need. B Those brackets have been used on
>> a lot of machines from Ultra 1 through Ultra 80, as well as Sun 711
arrays,
>> and various enterprise machines like E250/E220r/E420r, and of course the
>> V210 and V240s.
>>
>> One thing to watch for is the screws. B A lot of screws that fit in the
>> screw hole have a head thick enough to impede inserting a disk into the
>> machine. B I was just banging my head on finding screws with thin enough
>> heads to fit Sunday night.

"With MPI, familiarity breeds contempt. Contempt and nausea. Contempt,
nausea, and fear. Contempt, nausea, fear, and .." -- Ron Minnich