[rescue] So, which OS for SPARC?

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Jun 30 02:16:35 CDT 2010

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 11:55:36 -0700
Brian Howe <bwhowe at gmail.com> wrote:

> NetBSD "usually" supports more hardware than FreeBSD.
> However it's packages/ports framework is smaller.
Smaller? Maybe. But not small. pkgsrc supports over 9300 packages.

> OpenBSD supports (usually) a smaller hardware base than
> either NetBSD or FreeBSD, but it is very secure
That security thing is just marketing blurb from Theo. NetBSD cares as
much about security as OpenBSD. But NetBSD doesn't utilize this work to
"sell" the OS. Security is just a matter of course to NetBSD.

NetBSD runs very well on my T1 and X1. But note that you need a fix to
work around a hardware difference in the X1. The fix should be in
-current. Without it NetBSD may hang at boot when it attaches the PCI
host bridge driver of the X1. NetBSD on the Fire V240 is a bit flaky.
There is still a subtile bug in the US III support.

To throw in some buzz words: NetBSD 5.0 and up supports jornaling on
the traditional BSD FFS / UFS. NetBSD-current also supports ZFS. XEN
DOM0 support is there since 3.0(?).
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen