[rescue] So, which OS for SPARC?

Brian Howe bwhowe at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 13:55:36 CDT 2010

Wouldn't "best" be one of those point of view things?

What are you going to use it for? What environment is it sitting in
(secure, insecure)? What matters most - speed, utility, updates, cost,
etc?

FreeBSD does not work on all SPARC systems, and does not support all
SPARC hardware. You most definitely have to check the HCL on the
FreeBSD website before you go that route. NetBSD "usually" supports
more hardware than FreeBSD. However it's packages/ports framework is
smaller. OpenBSD supports (usually) a smaller hardware base than
either NetBSD or FreeBSD, but it is very secure and "generally" has a
larger ports/packages framework.

Brian