[rescue] OS recommendations for Sun Fire V210

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Jun 29 21:29:30 CDT 2010

On 06/29/2010 10:13 PM, John Floren wrote:

> I would definitely not describe it as quiet. Rather, I would describe
> it as a cross between a swarm of angry bees and a blender. There are 4
> small fans blowing over the motherboard, plus 2 even smaller fans on
> each processor, plus another fan or two in the power supply.
> Basically, it's at least as loud as every other 1U system I've ever
> used. My plan is to stick it in the spare room with the door closed.

I would describe a V210 as louder than a DL145 G2, as the latter seems
to have much better temperature control and while the V210 was always at
full blast, the DL145 usually isn't.

Also, a V240 is a good bit quieter than a V210.  I only bought the V240
because it was cheaper on the day I was ordering, but it turns out that
it a much nicer choice as well.