[rescue] OS recommendations for Sun Fire V210

John Floren slawmaster at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 21:13:11 CDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 10:04 PM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
wrote:
> On 06/29/10 21:18, John Floren wrote:
>> As luck would have it, the system came with an XVR-100 graphics board,
>> which I may look into enabling. However, given the sheer noise of this
>> beast, I'm not sure I want it anywhere near my desktop.
>
> Oh dear. B Loud machine? B That may impair my plans for what I want to do
> with the one that I'm expecting to receive shortly...

I would definitely not describe it as quiet. Rather, I would describe
it as a cross between a swarm of angry bees and a blender. There are 4
small fans blowing over the motherboard, plus 2 even smaller fans on
each processor, plus another fan or two in the power supply.
Basically, it's at least as loud as every other 1U system I've ever
used. My plan is to stick it in the spare room with the door closed.

John
--
"With MPI, familiarity breeds contempt. Contempt and nausea. Contempt,
nausea, and fear. Contempt, nausea, fear, and .." -- Ron Minnich