[rescue] Amiga 1000 rescue!

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Wed Jun 23 10:39:16 CDT 2010

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010, Ian Finder wrote:

> Hey all.
>
> Just picked up an Amiga 1000 with a bad floppy drive, and no OS media.
>
> I take it there is a way I can copy stuff to it over the serial port
> after I get it to boot, but anyone know where I can get a serial
> transfer program and [self replicatable] boot media ?
>
> I'm in the Seattle area.

You're going to need Workbench media, probably 1.2 or 1.3 for a system of
that vintage, it depends on what ROM kit it has, I'm not sure if anything
newer was available for the A1000.

Once you have Workbench loaded, you'll have Microsoft Basic!  Woo!  I
think the 1.3 Workbench manuals had a ~40 line simple terminal program
that could be used to transfer text files, not exactly ideal.  I would
recommend that you ask whomever can get you the WB media to send you
a disk with a terminal emulator on it as well.  I used JR-Comm, back
in the day, which seems to have been re-written and is now known as
'Terminus' (trms20e.lha on aminet).

On the Floppy-drive front, you could check with SoftwareHut
(www.softhut.com) and see what they have that might work.  Worse case,
you could get an external drive, it should be bootable from it.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org