[rescue] Ultra 5 OS

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Fri Apr 16 11:39:47 CDT 2010

> On 04/16/10 10:59, Joshua Boyd wrote:
>>>
>>> URL for this statement?
>>
>> Copied directly from the Solaris SLA on Oracle's web site, from section
>> 3, "Permitted Use."
>> http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/licensing/sla.xml
>

> Ah, that appears to be much the old Sun page with a slight cosmetic
> makeover (principally logo substitution).  They haven't even updated the
> contact address on it.  I do not see anything there that says whether or
> not "personal, individual use" still requires a paid support contract.
>
> I just remembered I know a guy at Sun^WOracle, and will ask him later
> today whether he can get official clarification on the hobbyist-license
> issue and patch availability for same.

InfoWorld reported that the old license was ammended with this:

http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/license-change-leaves-sun-solaris-users-crossroads-858?page=0,0

"Please remember, your right to use Solaris acquired as a download is
limited to a trial of 90 days, unless you acquire a service contract for
the downloaded Software."

- Nate