[rescue] What Linux can run on Sun Fire V890 (UltraSparc IV+) server

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Wed Nov 25 08:49:58 CST 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 09:29:05AM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
<snip>
> Have you considered selling the Sun box and buying an x86 box that's
> better suited to your needs? Hey, I love solid Sun hardware, but if your
> primary req. is to run an app that isn't supported, your options seem
> limited...
>
> Dual dual-core Xeon and Opteron servers are pretty cheap these days,
> like well under $500 nicely equipped.
>
> Your hammer (sun server) may be able to drive a screw (run ffmpeg/
> blender), but it may not be the best tool for the job...

A Sun Fire V890 is a fine looking hammer -> I really don't think a
$500 opteron machine can compete with 8 X dual core US IV+ processors
and ~32GiB RAM (and a machine that cost about $50000 in 2004).

The main problem with that machine is that only recently have
hobbyists managed to get their paws on such big iron machines in order
to tame them for *BSD/Linux.

Cheers,
Jonathan