[rescue] What Linux can run on Sun Fire V890 (UltraSparc IV+) server

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 08:29:05 CST 2009

On Nov 25, 2009, at 5:31 AM, blue <blue at aquarat.za.net> wrote:

> I've managed to pick up a Sun Fire V890 server, on which I have
> installed
> Solaris 10. This machine would be really useful to me if it had some
> sort of
> Linux on it... something I can compile FFMPEG on, or run Blender on.

Are these really that tied to LINUX OS but not tied to x86-64
architecture?

Have you considered selling the Sun box and buying an x86 box that's
better suited to your needs? Hey, I love solid Sun hardware, but if
your primary req. is to run an app that isn't supported, your options
seem limited...

Dual dual-core Xeon and Opteron servers are pretty cheap these days,
like well under $500 nicely equipped.

Your hammer (sun server) may be able to drive a screw (run ffmpeg/
blender), but it may not be the best tool for the job...

Lionel