[rescue] Replacing Linksys WRT54GS with a Netra T105

Mark Brown sunrescue at marknmel.com
Wed Mar 25 11:37:08 CDT 2009

Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 10:31:46AM -0400, Ray Arachelian wrote:
>
>> As for ZFS, snapshots, data integrity, compression, encryption, and all
>> the rest is quite nice on any kind of machine.  It's useful even on a
>> single hard drive in a notebook.
>>

> I agree that at least in theory ZFS is very appropriate for laptops and
> sometimes desktops (hey, it is hard to get a file server to provide the
> sort of speed that high speed SCSI or SATA attached to the workstation
> does).

(hijacking my own thread - zoiks!...)

Indeed.  I tend to think of ZFS on Solaris systems, as providing
half-assed functionality such as the installp (with Apply) function on
AIX.  In fact, Sun has been promoting this as a "feature" of ZFS as well.

Don't get me wrong, I love ZFS but using it to solve your poor patch
management practices is a little Rube Goldberg to me.

/M