[rescue] Replacing Linksys WRT54GS with a Netra T105

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Mon Mar 23 21:14:23 CDT 2009

Mark Brown wrote:
> Hey!
>
> I'd like to replace my Linksys device that runs my ADSL connection here
> at home with a Netra box I'm about to rescue from the office.
>
> I use PPPoE and QOS on the Linksys.  (I'll just use the Linksys as an
> access point...)   QoS is important to me as I do quite a bit of Voip here.
>
> I've used IPF before, but never on Solaris.  (This seems easy enough to
> do a simple NAT with a couple of port forwards...)
>
> The part that has be perplexed a bit is the QoS (man ipqos).  Has anyone
> actually used this?  Can you use it with a ppp device and a physical
> ethernet port?

I don't think you need anything fancy on the switch side, however, the
answer will depend on which version of Solaris you are going to use.

OpenSolaris  (latest versions) has VNIC (virtual network interfaces) to
which you can attach rules using a tool called flowadm.  Solaris 10 and
earlier does it differently.

--Patrick