[rescue] Trouble installing HP-UX 11i on a J6700

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Mar 16 02:17:26 CDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 09:05:19AM +0200, Meelis Roos wrote:

>Well, AFAIK the stretched gaps only appear when the "burn-free"
>technology is actually used because of loss of streaming, not just when
>it its enabled just in case. I.e. if your writing source is fast enough,
>you never lose streaming and the cd writer never needs to restart the
>writing (using these stretched caps on the restart point).

True, but much of the software that uses it does not tell you that
it did. Nero (Windows) will if you turn on the option and cdrecord (*NIX)
will.

Since the disk can't be read on old drives anyway, I'd rather have the
write fail when it happens, instead of "working", with the problem
only showing up in a log file.

It's a matter of having produced a possibly working disk versus
producing one which either will or won't.

Geoff.