[rescue] SUCCESS with Coherent

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Wed Jun 10 11:47:20 CDT 2009

Sandwich Maker wrote:
> " From: Mark Brown <sunrescue at marknmel.com>
> "
> " Scripts that write scripts, etc.  Filesystem "magic". Now layered
> " emulation from Mr. Bill.
>
> oh yes.  i don't think i've ever written a script that writes other
> scripts but i often script even simple things, to make sure i don't
> mistype a really critical command or minimize the downtime /
> vulnerability window when a bunch o' commands are needed to do a
> config change.  i also have an exact record of what i did, for the
> future.  just gotta remember to document those scripts!

I've done that once or twice.  Way back in the DOS days, it was a very
powerful technique for working around some of the more crippling
limitations of the brain-damaged DOS batch language and interpreter.

I also wrote a CGI once that was implemented as a self-modifying Perl
script, just to see if it would work.  (It did, but required extreme
care in input sanitization.)

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.