[rescue] Need PCI DIO (National Instruments, Sealevel, etc) card!

Curious George jorge234q at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 13:15:27 CST 2009

Hi, Ethan,

--- On Wed, 1/7/09, Ethan O'Toole <ethan at 757tech.net> wrote:

> Looking for PCI DIO cards... digital in/out. 5vdc logic
> in/out of PCI bus.
>
> 24 port, 50 port, 96 port whatever! Needs to work under
> linux!

In the past, I've always used the parallel port as a quick
and dirty digital I/O.  It's not isolated but that's easy
enough to add.

If you need more than 8 or 10 bits, you just need to double-buffer
the output, etc.

Nowadays, with parallel ports disappearing, you can do the same
via a USB printer "cable".

If you *think* you can't tolerate the latency that going through
the print driver implies (and, have *obviously* verified the
indeterminance introduced by the kernel itself  :>  ) then
you're stuck with needing a *real* parallel port (regardless
of how many bits it is and what you decide to *call* it :> ).
Often, finding one is easier than doing the aforementioned
analysis.  ;-)