[rescue] quad head pci video cards

Curious George jorge234q at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 5 16:16:26 CST 2009

--- On Mon, 1/5/09, Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 02:41:54PM -0500, Ethan O'Toole
> wrote:
> >> Matrox caters to a lot of TV and movie production outfits.
> >> Their video  cards are more workstation-grade than
> >> server-grade.
> > Servers should be headless, unless you are talking 4
> > wyse terminals.
>
> A "server" should only need ONE terminal or connection to a
> console server (for the console).  In some cases, not even
> that - just a second Ethernet connection for the integrated
> remote management facility of choice
> (iLO, RSC, network console w/ssh, etc).

Note that, like many terms, "server" is overloaded -- i.e.,
you can have a piece of hardware designed as a server (e.g.,
piss poor video capabilities  :> ) that can be *used* as
a "workstation".

In my case, I have a couple of "servers" (i.e., machines designed
to be essentially headless) that I use as workstations.  Since
they were not designed with this in mind (crappy onboard video),
there are no provisions for AGP, PXI Express, etc.  Hence my
need to find a (dual headed because I like lots of screen
real estate) PCI video card.