[rescue] More IBM emulation fun

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Feb 10 05:12:13 CST 2009

I just downloaded and installed the 4 pack VM system.

Here are a few notes from my doing it.

1. Installing hercules left me with a program that would not run. For some
   reason a dynlib file was not included. To get it I had to install GIMP
   and copy the dynlibs from the GIMP executable to /usr/local/lib.

2. You have to edit the vmsys.cnf to to remove the directory paths, or
   make them reflect where the files are.

3. You have to install a command line tn3270 emulator. I could not find
   one and I had to edit vmsys.rc to remove the referneces to the command
   line one.

4. cd to the directory where the DASD and config files are, and type:
	/usr/local/bin/hercules -f vmsys.cnf

5. Open the tn3270 emulator and connect to localhost port 3270.

You should see VM IPL.

because I could not connect properly with tn3270 (before ipl), I had to
tell hercules to stop the cpu and reipl with an ipl 249 command.

Answer change TOD clock with (enter) or no (enter).
Type of start should be cold the first time, warm after that.

If the screen says holding at the bottom right, hit the PA2 key. Which real
key it is depends upon your emulator.

Open up an other session and login.

User ids are maint password cpcms to do system maintainance,

Be careful editing the directory. If you mess it up, it's difficult to\
fix.

Geoff.