[rescue] emulation fun

Sheldon T. Hall shel at artell.net
Mon Feb 2 07:42:03 CST 2009

Quoth Mark Benson ...

> Do those of you that are old enough to remember mainframes
> like this not
> find it a tad weird that you can emulate a whole mainframe
> computer that
> used to take up a large room on a normal desktop PC? It's rational,
> given how much computers have developed, but surely it's still a
> slightly odd feeling :)

Having been in some part of the DP/IT/software business almost continuously
since my early-seventies mainframe days, I've gotten used to it.  Still,
yeah, it's odd to contemplate that the Nokia "Internet Tablet" I'm playing
with now is more powerful than my first mainframe.  Hell, my Timex Datalink
watch probably gives that old NCR 315 a run for its money ...

-Shel