[rescue] emulation fun

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 06:45:45 CST 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 07:35 -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> On Jan 31, 2009, at 10:53 PM, Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:
>
> > IBM z/OS 1.6 on Hercules:
> >
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbill/3239681787/
> >
> > I still haven't found a decent "IBM mainframe OSes for Dummies" type
> > book,
> > although the IBM "z/OS Basics" and related redbooks are pretty good.
>
> You have the dubious distinction of being the top hit when you google
> "z/os 1.6 Hercules"...
>
> Getting a z/os image to run must have been non-trivial...

Do those of you that are old enough to remember mainframes like this not
find it a tad weird that you can emulate a whole mainframe computer that
used to take up a large room on a normal desktop PC? It's rational,
given how much computers have developed, but surely it's still a
slightly odd feeling :)
--
Mark Benson
http://markbenson.org/blog