[rescue] Drives for T1s/V100s

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Sep 5 12:44:27 CDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 12:40:20PM -0500, Mike Hebel wrote:
> A talking watermelon whispered a message to me from: Mike Hebel
> > A talking watermelon whispered a message to me from: Joshua Boyd
> >>
> >> That would be unbelieably slow for OS installs.  If I wanted an external
> >> drive, I could hunt down a SCSI DVD drive, which would be a much better
> >> speed.
> >
> > And at least twice as much money.  Or at least that was my experience when
> > I bought an _internal_ SCSI DVD drive to go in my E450.
>
> Yep.  Expensive:
>
> http://www.bixnet.com/scexdvdcdwr.html

I wasn't talking about a unit for business use.  Something from ebay
would be fine.  All together units are still pricy, but I have nothing
against buying a drive and 411 or 611 seperately.  And if fact I'm
fairly certain I have a reusable 411 or 611 sitting around anyway.

> > I know the laptop drives do work in those systems but I can't recall what
> > the name of the connecting kit is for them at the moment.  You need the
> > little back-board and the ribbon cable to do it.
>
> Oof.  I just found the part:
>
> http://www.memoryxsun.com/5015491.html

I can't tell from the picture, but is that just a regular 40 pin IDE on
the side that plugs into the motherboard?  If so, why couldn't I use a
regular laptop drive->IDE connector?