[rescue] Drives for T1s/V100s

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Fri Sep 5 12:40:20 CDT 2008

A talking watermelon whispered a message to me from: Mike Hebel
> A talking watermelon whispered a message to me from: Joshua Boyd
>> On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 01:20:26PM -0400, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>>> I'm just asking, but what about a USB DVD drive?
>>
>> That would be unbelieably slow for OS installs.  If I wanted an external
>> drive, I could hunt down a SCSI DVD drive, which would be a much better
>> speed.
>
> And at least twice as much money.  Or at least that was my experience when
> I bought an _internal_ SCSI DVD drive to go in my E450.

Yep.  Expensive:

http://www.bixnet.com/scexdvdcdwr.html

> I know the laptop drives do work in those systems but I can't recall what
> the name of the connecting kit is for them at the moment.  You need the
> little back-board and the ribbon cable to do it.

Oof.  I just found the part:

http://www.memoryxsun.com/5015491.html

Unfortunately that's also expensive and the cost of using it and a laptop
DVD drive exceeds the external SCSI DVD drive.  Count me surprised...
--
Mike

		-- Dr. Who