[rescue] SGI Indigo2 & IRIX 6.5

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun Nov 30 23:27:39 CST 2008

On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 06:09:50AM +0100, Michael C. Vergallen wrote:
> Care to expand why ? I'm interested in finding out why  ... Also I know
> not a lot about IRIX thats why this statement baffels me.

A lot of it has to do with the fact that SGI was never really forthcoming
about a lot of low-level hardware details, so (last I saw) you could run
IRIX on some SGI hardware, but you were limited to console text and no GUI.

As others have stated, SGI hardware was built to run IRIX, and IRIX was
written to run well on SGI hardware.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford